May 5, 2008

Independence IS Responsibility

I have a mixed opinion when it comes to the new proposal where single women traveling should ask for family consent.

I know Mr. Minister meant well and maybe it did not cross his mind at that time that the feminist groups will jump from their seats. I would suggest both parties to take deep breath and especially, ladies, please, to quote yourselves, after 30 years, we have reached this "equality" level, there's no need to be over-emotional as a response to the proposal. Come on. Think with your heads.

Well, if this proposal is accepted, it will certainly make lives difficult for ladies who are traveling on genuine purpose; business, work, seminars, etc. On the other hand, young impressionable ladies, those who are easily tempt by the notion of more green paper through "easier" way, we might be able to curb what's going on. But certainly, this does not solve the actual problem.

What's more important I believe, is to ensure young people respect their parents enough to tell them where they are going and for what purpose. That's all. There's no need for formal consent from the parents to ensure visa approval etc. Come on ladies. Be more responsible. 30 years of fighting for equality means nothing if you are easily tempted and not thinking carefully when it comes to your own future and safety. Independence has its price. And that price is responsibility. In fact, this should also goes to the men, because frankly, anyone can be a victim when it comes to MONEY.

Independence does not mean you turn your back to your family. It does not mean going anywhere without telling someone, just disappear as if nobody can harm you. This is not a movie or fairy tale. This is real life. And real dangers are out there. So be aware, and be careful.

I told my parents the other day that I'll scream my lungs out if anybody asked me to take anything through the check point. I will look stupid for a while, but at least I'll be safe, insyaAllah.

Anyway, to come back to the matter, to my fellow ladies from the groups and societies, let's not lose our heads, okay? Be more professional in dealing with the issue and giving responses. No point getting the finger pointed back to us on how emotional of a being we are. And sincerely, I support the notion not to pass the proposal.

It's unfair. Demeaning. And most of all, an insult to our intelligence. Although Mr. Minister meant well. ;-)

No comments: