May 2, 2008

I Know What We Did on Labour's Day

On Wednesday I received a call from Bonda terchenta that she's not yet feeling better and Abah's car is acting up again. She asked me to come home that evening. Not wanting to sound hypocrite, I did feel a bit frustrated because I had already make plans for Thursday. But upon hanging up the phone, my decision was made, and I started to shut down the PC. Went to see the boss and told him that I need to go back because my mom is not feeling well. "Ok... Ok.. It's very important... Family is important..." the boss said few times. So I thanked him and hurried to the LRT.

Why is it that when you're in hurry, the universe seems to go against you. The stupid man at the LRT door did not want to move aside so that you can get out. The drivers on the road that hog the right lane. Haih. Make my blood go upstairs! Had to go back to PH first to get my things, I don't like to do things twice. Called Bonda from the LRT and told her that I'm getting the lunch for them. On the way back, stopped at Nasi Lemak Ulik Mayang to get their Nasi Kerabu (Sorry Kak Sheila, I dunno where else to find the dish).

I know how my parents are tired of packed food so that evening I improvise the left overs and made new meal. Habis! Licin tako (kata orang Melaka)!

On Labour's Day morning, I made nasi goreng ikan bilis. I guess it was sedap because my mom and my brother had two serving of it. My youngest brother, upon finishing breakfast "told" us that we're going out that day. And yes, my mom already felt much better that morning. And was excited to go out. He he he...

So yesterday afternoon, we had lunch at Marche in The Curve. I introduced Rosti to my parents and they liked it so much that I think I'll make that this weekend. He he he... My father said the serving was just nice, not to filling and not too heavy. I told my mum, we should eat potato everyday anyway since beras dah mahal.

We then went to IKEA because my youngest brother wants to get ideas on building his walk-in closet.

An outing with the family is never dull actually. My parents are very family oriented people. They love going out with their kids no matter that we're now adults. I guess, they feel a little down now that the kids have their own plans and they cannot see us as much as before. So, we, the kids, always do our best to spend quality time with them whenever we can.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that however busy we are, we should go out of our way to please our parents. If we can do it for our friends and spouses/partners, we can do it for these two people who brought us into this world. Kan?

To end today's post, I share two Rosti recipes that I got from Cooks.com. I shall combine these two...

ROSTI 1

1 lb. potatoes
2 oz. butter
2 dashes salt

Cook potatoes; wait until they are cold. cut them into slices; fry them in butter. Push together to a cake. Put salt and wait until you have a crust; turn over. Bake on the other side until crusty. Serve.

ROSTI 2

6-8 potatoes
1 lg. onion
1 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. butter
1 1/4 c. grated Cheddar

Peel potatoes and onion. Finely chop onion, finely shred potatoes. Combine potatoes, onion and salt.

Heat 2 skillets. Divide butter between them. Heat butter until slightly brown. Add 1/2 of potato mixture to each skillet and cook for 8 minutes, stirring once or twice.

Add grated cheese and firmly press mixture. Cook covered for 5 minutes until bottom is crispy. Turn cakes over and cook for 5 minutes more. Serve immediately.


No comments: