July 30, 2009

So Long Brilliant Woman!

I do not know her personally. Like many others, I know her through her films and adverts. Not to mention those numerous slanders and rumours that circled around from time to time. But I never stopped waiting and watching for her next magical moments.

Allahyarhamah Yasmin Ahmad. Such a loss to the Malaysian arts industry. Such a huge loss. I do not know her personally, although it was my secret wish to do so. This is one wish that will not come true...

I wonder, why is it so difficult for people to open up their minds and hearts to accept differences? Why is it so terrible when someone dare to defy the norm other seem to be blanketed with? Why when someone has the courage to speak up and challenge the ordinary, the person becomes a target of hatred and vile rumours? Such is the society we live in. Such is the people we grew up with.

I solemnly hope that more people will see the true message that Yasmin Ahmad dared to reveal in her works. And like many others before her, maybe now, she will be acknowledged by her people, after her death.

Al-Fatihah.

No comments: