July 15, 2009

The Greeting Cards

I'm sorry, but whose idea was it to invite a thousand people to a wedding? Who started this? Why should we invite people we have not seen for years? Some of which we hardly know!

A small scale wedding means a close-knit, more personal and intimate get-together. It also means a more well.. luxurious in a way, because you get to spend a little bit more because the number of guests are smaller.
I would actually be happier with a small scale occasion, shared only with my family members and a few close friends.

However, this can never happen in a Malaysian weddings. We are all about sharing the joy and celebration with everyone. This is exactly what I told an acquaintance when she asked why do you need to invite so many people to a wedding the other night. In fact, a wedding is such a great fete, that it should be announced to the world! And because there are so many people at the wedding, we have to ask our family members to wear a certain colour so that we know who belongs to the family! Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but you get the point I'm trying to make here.

Have you been to a invitation card store lately? Do you know that a minimum order that is acceptable to get discounted price is actually 1000 pieces? That means, you are expecting at least a couple of thousands guests! I told them they're crazy. We're just normal people, who are we going to invite? Sure there's discount for 500 cards too, but it's not as cheap as you might want it to be. And you know what, I heard, some people, they just ordered those thousand pieces of cards and only used about half, just because they want to get the discounted price! What are you going to do with the rest of the unused cards? Crazy isn't it?

A lot of people these days, travel to Indonesia to get cheaper invitation cards and other frills for the wedding. Some even tailor their clothing there. Not too long ago, people in KL travel to northern or east Malaysia to get cheaper bargains.

While I see there's nothing wrong with it, I myself, will not go into that extend. Simply because, I've never been to Indonesia, therefore I don't know my way around and I don't know anyone there to help me to get these bargains. I might get cheated you see? And on top of that, there are other things to be thought about; annual leaves, flight tickets, accommodation, food, etc. I don't know, I have a feeling I might end up paying the same amount if I were to buy everything here in KL! I might be wrong, because I've never been there...

As far as invitation goes, my list almost reaches a hundred people. Times two, that's about two hundred. Combined with the lists from my parents and CapalPerak, we're expecting about a thousand people. Maybe more.

And even though I said that I'd be happier with a smaller group, the possibilities to meet up with those people you have not met for so long just makes me smile. It would be nice to see those people again, wouldn't it?

No comments: