August 15, 2008

Happy Birthday To You!

If you're anything like yours truly, you'd be reading the manual every time you buy a new appliances. Although, if you're like me, whatever that was read, would be forgotten the moment the manual is put down. So, I guess if there's such thing as a manual on how to handle other drivers on the road, I won't remember a thing even if I spent hours reading it. Mute point. I know.

So, what is the connection between reading manuals and drivers, you asked? Frankly, nothing. This is just another stress relieving post.

If I was blessed with super powers, I'm sure there would be a lot of casualties on the road whilst I'm driving. The number of killer stares that I give everyday or the silent swears that could equate to mortally dreaded magical spells are endless.

The number of queue cutting on the road is unbelievable. I spent 15 minutes of queuing up to make a simple turn at the junction, when all of a sudden another vehicle just cut in front of me, as if shouting that the driver's urgency is the utmost importance. Once a while, I admit, I am guilty of this action as well, so I guess, I am getting the payback, eh?

Then, what's with not giving way when I already give signal that I want to change lanes. It's not because I want to get ahead, but because I need to be in that lane to go towards my destination. One moment there is a space for me to go in, but seconds after the driver sees my indicator light flashing, the car increases in speed, making it absolutely dangerous for me to change lanes.

There is no courtesy on the roads in Malaysia. People are getting increasingly selfish by day. There is less generosity. If you're a virgin on the road, you'd be a tramp in just a month.

The 51st National Day celebration is looming. What has changed? Malaysians attitude are going down the toilet. National stability is in question because politicians are getting greedier. Teenagers are getting older than they really are day by day because they are more exposed to the world as compared to teenagers in 80s. Or 90s. People used to be proud displaying the flag as early as 1st August but these days you hardly see any. People are increasingly losing respect to each other and getting paranoid for no reason.

After half a century of sovereignty, I would expect the people are more open and confident. Therefore, open discussion should not be shunned. Seriously, if the other religion or races could not understand what Islam is all about, how can they understand why we say things that we do? Why is it so difficult to have a sincere knowledge sharing? Are our ulamas not expert enough in their subjects to be able to discuss with people from other faiths? What are we afraid of? Isn't it better to educate people than to leave them in the dark and speculate?

And what's with all these warnings to ward off inter-faith discussion? Is it actually a reverse psychology to ensure the Malays and Muslims really go on riots to protest the discussion? Come on, friends, we are matured enough to have a healthy discussion. It's not a matter of what's right, it's a matter of educating.

But then again, that's just my two cents about it.

We pledge unity because we're Malaysians but our actions speak otherwise. Why?

Happy 51st Merdeka Day! May our country prosper and our people unite.
Peace and Love.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just want to say

IKLAN JAP

http://kaksiwahshoppe.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

it's our country anyway.. we cannot run from it.. we just can hope and pray.. too many politic things come into the pictures now.. i'm so scared..

maszuzu said...

happy birthday to nation..and to me too...