February 26, 2008

Undi Itu Rahsia! (Your Vote is Secret!)

To people who are closer to me, they know I dislike politic, to the extend tuning out politician's voice. Regardless whether they are the ruling party or the opposition. To me, politic is and will always be dirty. No matter what you say. No matter how un-corrupted you claim to be. It's politic darlings.

Having said that, I won't deny myself the right to choose. Looking at me, strangers would definitely say I'm pro-BN. Why ah? Maybe because the way I dress? Or is it the way I think? My sparse intellectual write-ups? And before they even try to know me, they will start preaching. Or ask me to think. Or give me links to read. I will not say now, I'll say thank you.

Let me tell you a story. My late grandfather, God bless his soul, was a PAS supporter. He was even one of the nominees. He contested several time. He never won, though. And that I would say a huge loss to the people.

While he was a pious man, he never claimed to be mr-know-it-all, my grandfather. I look up to him. He ensure we solat jamaah for Maghrib and Isya', everyday. Never fail. He didn't need to recite long surahs until his grandkids fell asleep on the praying mat, or felt bored they left the saf. He didn't object to having music playing in his home, but he taught us to respect waktu (prayer times) and azan. He was one of a kind. Had he been elected, people will now and understand that Islam is so much more than what we are exposed to.

When certain areas with opposition supporters celebrated AidilFitri earlier or later than what was announced in the television, my beloved grandfather said, we should follow what has been decided. He said those who are elected are chosen, not only by people but by The Lord.

So you see, I've grown up to undestand and accept that people must do what's best for onself. I am taught by my parents not to jump into the bandwagon and follow the crowd. I always ask myself the value of an action or the importance of staying still.

Just because I disagree with a certain area of ideology, does not mean I reject it altogether. And just because I applaud the action, it doesn't necessarily mean I like everything.

If my late grandfather was a PAS supporter, my uncle; his son, and his family are hardcore PKR followers. Having said that, a different set of relatives are closely attached to BN. So, it's a mixture of understanding, and I, just listen. Depending on the situation, I'll choose whom I agree with.

I was once called lalang (weed) by my fellow Uni friends. Just because I don't totally agree with them and decided that they are on the wrong side. You see, freedom to think gives me the right to do that. If you're on the wrong, you are. But that does not mean I cannot be friends with you, right?

So, you can send me hate mails on BN and links to YouTube on their cruelty, or documents on what the opposition has failed to do; etc. I don't care. I watch and I read. But you are in no way have power over me to decide which I should pangkah (vote) for.

I have only one advice. Don't be taksub (extreme) in supporting your party. Both sides have their rights and wrongs. What I want to see is the assimilation of UMNO with PAS and PKR. We have too many Malay parties around. And you're not doing us any favour by dividing the people more. Seriously.

What I believe our people need is unity. Find a common ground, build from there. If each keep on pointing fingers, arguing who's better and who's wrong, nobody wins. Go back to basics. The Prophet SAW himself had said how syuro (discussion) is the best thing to do.

Yeah, I know.. I have also been called an idealist. Just because I want people to work together. Duh.

In your quest towards 8th March, don't fight. No good thing will come out of it. There's no need for name calling and finger pointing. When you stand on the stage for your turn to talk, talk about what you will do and hope the community will achieve when you're in office. Because frankly, that's what I want to hear and ultimately see the result. I do not want to listen to bickering and btihcing about the people you don't agree with. Get people to like you, not hate you.

And for the supporters, shut up. Let the nominated do the talking. I want to listen to him or her. Not you.

No comments: