March 2, 2007

Totally Exasperated

Eversince I joined Pudica, the common word that is being used whether in discussions or meeting is "challenge". Everytime we sit down with clients this word, never failing, will be uttered. Each time we have internal discussions "challenge" is something we face and answer to.

Today, I went to meet our partner for a meeting. There were few items to be discussed according to the invitation email. But, essentially there is only one thing that actually mattered. And it was, "challenge".

Pudica has worked with this particular partner before. In fact, DNAS, Alien and Queen are familiar with the people. I remembered Queen saying something about this partner being not doing anything. At that time, I did not agree (sorry, Queen), keeping mum though.

Yesterday however, changed my perception about them. And after the session with them today, which included their Project Manager, I am baffled and resigned.

My role in any project implementation would be as a consultant. We, Pudica, provide the components and basic guidance on how to manipulate the components to suit the application that an SI developed. Never will we be involved in the development process. And these partnership and way of getting things done have been in place for years.

The partner today however, expected us to spoon feed them. Deliver everything in silver platter. Probably gold, since they are asking for discount on the pricing. I quote the Project Manager's request here.

"You have to explain to us as if you're explaining to people who does not know anything. Treat us like babies. You have to feed us".

Now, if you can actually see my face reaction at that time, you would describe it as comical and baffled together with disappointment and disbelieve. I could not believe what I was hearing. Here I am, with people who are said to have ABAP/SAP experience, which by far is more complicated than a mere ASP/JSP/HTML scripting. Or am I wrong to think so? But if SAP is so easy, that it won't be so expensive, would it? Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, regardless what your programming language background is, even if there will be a learning curve, you can and will be able to adapt to a new language.

Yesterday during the server configuring session, none of its personnel actually stood by my side to observe the steps. When I tried to explain, they acted as if they already know what I was saying and doing. However, when I mentioned that they have to modify the sample codes that we provided, they suddenly became agitated.

After a little bit of drilling, they all admit that they are not programmers AND none in the company is. This really made me wonder how they implemented the same infra in a different project, which was certainly bigger than the current one. I asked them this and they told me that they were not involved in the process when it was done by the other partners.

Today, it became clear to me. They engaged consultants for different parts of the project (which is cool actually, acceptable) but they never get themselves involved on the actual work. They expect everything to be done by the consultants.

During the meeting, it dawned upon me that they do not like challenge. They do not want to be challenged. They do not want to face the challenge. They refuse to answer the challenge.

They are chickens. Chickens that poop around and everywhere and expect other people to clean it up. (okay, a little bit of anger here plus exasperation). They are yellow chickens because they are afraid to take up challenges and afraid to make mistake and afraid to admit that they don't know.

The project manager also mentioned that they can't afford learning curve at the moment because the project is urgent.But when asked to read and understand the guides that are provided during the weekends, the project manager quickly exclaimed that "we don't work on weekends". Ironic.

Needless to say, I am disappointed. It's all about attitude. If you want to get things done, and you don't know how, the least you can do is try to understand, try to learn a bit so as you can ask the right questions and not making a fool of yourselves or embarrass the organisation your attached to, even if at the end you decided you will need someone else to do it. Show some enthusiasm, make an effort to learn and understand. There's nothing wrong with that.

What was most embarrassing was that, they are my people. They are from the race who was said by Hang Tuah will not cease to exist. They are from the race whose ancestors traveled the world and well known intellects. They are from the race who jump so quickly when scorned or wronged.

I am disappointed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

kekekekekeke

patutkah saya teka 'team' mana yang anda maksudkan?

muahahahahahaha....all the best to u dude...kekekeke

The Momster said...

some ppl just like to keep their knowledge stagnant. no vision, no aims. as long as they have fixed monthly income they are happy.

kesian u.

D.N.A.S said...

heheh... I've known them since 2005 and I need at least 7 blog entries to tell my experience working with them.
If I have the authority I'd love to ban the word 'URGENT' in IT implementation in this country.
All implementation must follow the agreed project timeline according to the approved project plan. Fullstop.
As for you, I think you should spend sometime to relook at your S.O.W being submitted to that partner to make sure you won't be a scapegoat in the near future.

Hajar said...

queens: gelak.. gelak..

n|ns: exactly. it's just sad. for them lah. not me.

dnas: i told my boss not to be involved with this people in future. and if we do, we have to allocate spoon-feeding time. and charge them triple. best part is, my boss agrees. hehe...