September 24, 2006

Hmm...

Walla! A new layout courtesy of Blogger Templates. It's a bit too... urmm.. girlie.. with flowers and pastel, but hey... it looks lovely, eh?

It's a cool 1st Ramadhan here in KL. I cannot see the sun, in fact it just rained briefly. I still don't know what Mak has in mind for the breakfasting tonight, but I'm craving sweet stuff. I'm thinking of kuih cara. I'm not sure if it has any other name, but its variant is cara berlauk. To those who do know this Malay delicacy, it's made of flour with melted sugar inside a.k.a syrup. The common colour is green. Bummer, I suddenly do not know how to explain how to make this kuih when I can do it with my eyes closed!

It's very simple, really. Just mix flour with water making sure the mixture turns to liquid; not too thick neither too thin. You'll need a metal mould put atop the stove to cook it. The standard one is a rounded shape metal with approximately ten flowered-shape moulds. The moulds are about one inch deep. In goes the flour mix and while it's hardening, a pinch of sugar is added. And walla! Kuih cara.

Cara Berlauk is a bit different. The colour is normally yellow and the filling varies from anchovies to dried prawns. And they are normally spicy. Hot. Hot. Hot. To me, it defeat the purpose as being deserts. This I take to make sure I burp when I finish. He he he...

If I do make this today, I'll post the picture later if I can. That is if I remember to take the picture before everything ends up in the stomachs. :-p

To everyone, Happy Ramadhan again. Take care all!

UPDATE 26/9/2006: Did not make kuih cara on Sunday. Instead we had cekodok pisang, the all time favourite. By the way, you need pandan leaves for the colour and scent. Iskk... sedap nyer...

8 comments:

vedd said...

Cool and Sleepy day for me :D
You make me crave for kueh cara too :P
Dangs... It's only 4:44PM

Selamat Berpuasa dan Berbuka Puasa!

-v-

Nour said...

Gosh, now you are making me hungry..hehehe :)

Nice template you have here,
happy fastinG!

gravtkills said...

i prefer the sweet one...my beloved grandma used to make it hot and ready for berbuka when i was small

Anonymous said...

vedd: sedap kan? and selamat to you too!

nour: thanks.. courtesy of geniuses la...

gravt: i love the sweet ones too. can't get enough of it!

Seeking Solace said...

Yes, the template is girlie but I like it! :)
I've always wondered how to make kuih cara and I think my mum has the acu somewhere in the depths of our kitchen, I'll try it if I can find it :)
Selamat Menyambut Ramadan to u too.

D.N.A.S said...

Letak santan ke tak? I suka dua2, sweet and savoury. Dulu pernah buat masa belajar SRT tapi dah tak ingat macamana nak bancuh.

Hajar said...

SS: hehe.. selamat mengorek almari di dapur!!

DNAS: i think some people letak, but we don't. hehe..

Angel Eyes said...

Your template is cool! i like it too.. :)

eh, kuih cara sedap tak? never try it before