January 15, 2009

Hmm...

I bought a book today. I decided to read the Forewords, something I rarely did before. Halfway through reading it, I felt cheated and had this urge to throw away the book. I decided to skip to the Introductions by the author herself.

Upon reading it, I suddenly realised how ignorant I had been when the book was suggested by my dear Sarcy. I started to read Chapter 1. I decided to continue reading simply because I want to understand why the author became who she is today. I SMSed Sarcy and told her my first instinct. While writing this post, I received her reply that reminded me of what she told me when we met during dinner last Sunday. I have to read the book with an open mind.

The book, my friends, is Infidel. Written by one Aayan Hirsi Ali.

And then I read the latest post by Dr. Asri. If the Malaysian religious authority is not careful, we might just have more aayans out there very, very soon.

So, I will read the book, until the end. What pains me is when I read this on Ms Hirsi Wikipedia page:

At the Sydney Writers' Festival in June 2007, she balanced her arguments, saying "I am a Muslim" because she understood why Muslims were silent when the Qur'an was "invoked to behead captured aid workers, journalists and other Western wanderers," as silence is "better than an argument with the author of the Holy Book who has given the command to behead infidels." Hirsi Ali stated that she was also "not a Muslim" as she had lost the fear of the Qur'an and of Hell and lost respect for "its author" and messenger; ..."

As well as her thoughts on the Palestinian vs Israel issue.

But I'm still reading the book, although I have an idea what made her be her. :-)

4 comments:

D.N.A.S said...

Minah ni dan denounce her faith tapi she's still fighting for Muslim women. Errr... tak paham lah.

Hajar said...

maybe she feels that she's "liberating" the Muslim women..

Sarclover said...

Well, the way i see it, maybe what makes her the way she is now was the brand of Islam she grew up to. ours is different. i dare say that whatever may come my way... i will never denounce my faith although i am not much of a Muslim la kan... but I still believe... but in her case well... siapa yang tahu what may have gone through her mind kan...

but cuba terbalikkan situation.. why is it that people come into our religion we celebrate when the person might have gotten backlashes from agama asal... just like ours, but they let them all the same. but when the other way around pulak... lain pulak cerita.

hmmmm

Hajar said...

sarcy: I agree. onto chapter 5 now. I shall reserve other thoughts at the moment until I've finished it. ;-)