December 22, 2006

A New Chapter

So, it is my first day at Pudica. So, I knew before I joined that it has government influence stamped all over it. So, I was informed there is a restructuring going on (why do I always join a new place while there's a reorganisation being done, I don't know. maybe next time I should make it one of my standard questions to ask during the interview).

Apparently the "old" people are so used to the "old" ways that the new concept seems foreign to them. I have not the nitty-gritty details, but suffice to say they are worried of their fully privatised days ahead. I was told that this is a good retirement haven, but I don't think I am going to treat it as such. So long as the piper keep on playing, I will always move around. *wink*.

Anyway, as first day goes, everything's cool. Although I have not yet my own workstation and laptop, or stationeries to play with, I am told that weeks ahead will be very busy for me. I don't think they have Toastmasters club here. Once I'm settled in, I am going to propose having a branch setup.

After half-a-day, this place feels like being in the uni. Almost everyone (read: Malay ladies) dressed the same, talk and walk the same. I found myself to be flown back in time where I used to be one of them. And oh my, it's just so easy to fall back to those old habits for majority is like that. I hope this time I will be stronger and won't lose my identity. Lucky for me, the job promises hours away from the office. He he he... I sound sooooo terrible.

The upside, is so far the manager I'm reporting to. Still early to tell but I liked her instantly during the interview. Apparently the feeling is mutual (he he he). She's very anxious for me to pick up the knowledge and I hope I won't disappoint her. Most of the new colleagues are amused to know that I used to work with Esabicks before. However they told me my communication won't be direct with them as Pudica works closely with the sub-con.

I kinda like the academia air that this place has. (Is that a calling to go back to school?) The library is awesome! I forsee myself spending time in there. Although I was a bit disappointed I couldn't find titles by Nora Roberts or Paolo Choelo. Ha ha ha... My spirit was also a bit dampen by the fact that I can only borrow a maximum of two books, unlike the permanies where they get to borrow six! But that's okay, I'll make do.

One thing that I need to get soon is an organiser. Can't afford a PDA yet, though it can be really handy, so I'll start the ol' skool way. So, one stop to make on my way back today is the bookstore. I'm thinking Kinokuniya, but that's just too far away, besides I have dinner engagement with NF and SS tonight. Girls' night out! Yeay!

So, will update again soon. Hopefully I will get my own machine by next week. Everyone is in holiday mood that they fail to be a bit more helpful today however friendly they are.

Before I pen off (or.. type off?) I pray to God that He blesses me with His wisdom and light on this new journey, yet another chapter of Jade's life. Ameen.

8 comments:

D.N.A.S said...

The Malay ladies at Pudica, dress, walk and talk the same... ? Oits... bosannyaa... nampak sangat diorang ni byk peer pressure. Kalau pakai baju figure hugging pegi opis boleh ke tak? Ataupun, nanti kena jeling... pastu kena lecture?

The Momster said...

jade,
would u go back to the way u were masa kat uni?? hihihi.

best of luck in new place!!

Angel Eyes said...

first of all, all the very best at the new place babe. take it easy ya?

ouch!

skema nye kat sana?

Anonymous said...

are u now at mimos? bcos if i am not mistaken, there's a plant or something with the name mimosa pudica...

am i right?

gravtkills said...

hv fun at the new place

Anonymous said...

waa.. u dah ader keje baru.. congrats ct.. hapy for u bbut i'm sure u takkan terjadi macam org org yang telah u picture tadi.. hehehe okla. hope all is well - Fabio "kiddo" Grosso

Anonymous said...

dnas: hehe... tak kot... but seriously, rasa mcm kat uni balik..

nahlah: err... not now la kot. hehe...

AE: tak la skema sgt sebenarnya. just the "air".

anon: mimos pudica is pokok semalu.

gravt: i sure will!

kiddo: he he he...

to all, thanks for the well wishes!

Nour said...

wah that is a good start to a new year...all the best