December 14, 2006

Bad day at work, good day at home

I do not know what I want to write today. I'm feeling a not so nice feeling towards the place that I'm leaving, towards the alleged decision makers. I wonder how the place can survive looking at how business and partnership is done here. Although I'm on my way out, so to speak, I can't help feeling bad and embarassed. It's a reality that I have to face day in, day out whenever I go out to meet the customers.

How can a project manager tells customers that he has a lot of project to handle? How can a project manager gives the reason of lack of resources to his subordinates when asked to allocate at least another person for the project when the said subordinates are leaving? Isn't it a job for a project manager to manage what little resources he has amongst the projects that he acquired? Isn't it a part and parcel of being a project manager to manage multiple projects at the same time? Aren't project managers supposed to manage the timeline and customers and sigining off of user acceptance? Aren't account managers supposed to take care of the vendor-customer relationships besides meeting customers only to ask for payment?

Let me tell you something, there is no such thing as low priority customers. Because at the end of the day all customers are business referrals after all and their satisfaction is what determine whether or not you get a continued income. On top of new business prospects as well. I might not have experience being a project manager or account manager, but one thing that I can say for sure is if you fail making your customers happy, the effect is on you. Image is tarnished. Confidence, lost. Opportunities, missed.

I may not be earning 5 figures, or collecting 6 figures commission, but at least I can be proud that customers are happy working with me and they prefer to talk to me.

Customers concerns should be addressed not put aside just by telling "you don't have to think about that". They are customers after all, they will have questions, they would want to see whether your products meet their needs. And your job is to assure them and let them believe that you're there to make their lives easier and your products will be able to do that.

I am happy to leave this place, looking forward to the day putting the days I spent over here behind me. And to actually wait another week for it to happen feels like a chore. Which in the essence what it is anyway, but it's met with frowns instead of smiles. And smiling while doing my chores is very important to me.

Yes, I am having bad day at work. Worse because I have to postpone my joining the new place to next month. I was looking forward to open a new book next week, but since now it is not possible to leave early, I feel dejected. Looking at the bright side though, I will have about a week's holiday. Which is something I haven't had for so long. Doesn't matter if I lose a week's pay. Clear head is preferable at this moment. And being peaceful inside too.

SS is coming down from Penang next weekend. NF and I have no plans yet; even SS is only thinking of melebam at home only. So, we shall see. Good thing that I have but time in my hands after Wednesday. We are like sisters, the three of us, eversince we became housemates. Granted NF and I have been friends since we were thirteen and we met SS while studying in the uni. SS's leaving earlier this year to pursue new career up north made the place empty for she has always been the fire in our platonic ménage à trois. So, all three of us are looking forward for next weekend for our days in, days out, nights in and out too, I supposed.

On top of that, I might have to decide about the bus ride soon. So, help me God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow..dash of luck to go with the bus ride call?? ;)

yeah, nothing betta than girls hanging out together2..simply just having FUN! to sisterhood n priceless treasures of frenships *cheers*

n hey, good day at home always beat anythg else..even a bad day at work ;)

Tynna said...

Why am I not surprised when I read abt lousy project managers or anyone using the tag on their lapel calling themselves Managers, Supervisors or Directors when they can't do the job assigned to them?
Most times, ppl like these are only strutting around showing off their status, nothing more...and they are too selfish and lazy to help around.
You make a good Customer Relations Officer Jade because you love what you are doing and you take the trouble and care! I know, coz I was in Customer Service for 12 yrs and I have seen so many ugly situations...

Hajar said...

fatihah: not so sure yet la to get on or not... too many things to think about.

blackfeline: you'd be surprise if i tell u i work nowhere close to customer service. hehe.. thanks for dropping by.