May 9, 2010

Leather S.O.S

I don’t fancy leather couch. It’s difficult to make it look homey. You can’t really put cushions on it and get away with it. In our weather, adding a throw would be asking for a home-made sauna. So, no, I don’t fancy leather couch.

My old couch, it was not expensive branded couch. But it was an extra large size, faux suede like fabric L-shape couch. It did it job. It was comfortable and homey. And I did add throw on it, because I was renting an eight floor apartment, which means I can let the sliding door open and get fresh air; unless it was the haze season. I miss my old couch. But it served its purpose to me, and now it’s making my parent’s living hall snazzy. My brother call it the modern area of the house.

Leather couch tends to be impersonal. Even when  you have personal items on it. Leather tends to separate itself from the rest. Why am going on and on about leather sofa, I don’t know. Maybe because I AM sitting in one? Can’t put it away, because it’s not mine to begin with.

And I think, that’s the underlying issue. Not mine.

There are a lot of things that you cannot do when some things are not yours. You can’t change the way a project is managed because you’re not the project manager, which means, the project is not yours. You cannot raise objections to your neighbour about the renovation they are doing because it’s their house. There a lot of things that you cannot do when you are not in control.

So, what can you do? Well, for starters, to get an insider that you know to help to raise the issue. You cannot solve everything on your own. You need to ask help. Some things, yes, you can settle it all alone. But a lot of things, need outside assistance. So don’t be shy to ask for help.

Next, timing. Like it or not, you need to find the right time to ask for help. First of all, if it involves emotions, and you’re feeling upset, the best way is to take time to cool down. Then only ask for help. Otherwise, the call for help will be delivered wrongly. Trust me, I did this mistake before. :-p

So. What was it that I was babbling about? Oh yaa… I don’t fancy leather couch.

1 comment:

Sarclover said...

Ehehehe... The couch that I want is a leather couch. Of course you can make it homey, need a bit more effort that's all. ;)