January 21, 2010

Are You A Photographer?

Lots and lots of people are taking up photography. Seriously, they say. But have you ever wondered, are you really a photographer?

I mean, you spent what... at least two thousand ringgit just to start of. Get a DSLR and the kit lens. And later after few clicks on your camera, and more clicks on the internet to see how other DSLR photographers are doing, you suddenly realise that your photos are not as good as theirs. Blur lah. Over exposed lah. Under exposed. Shaking lah. Then you go into the forum and ask how to reduce or eliminate all those all together.

And the advices and suggestions come rolling in...


...new lens; wide angel, telephoto, macro
...bigger flash dude/babe...
...haiyaa... get a tripod lar...
...play with those imaging software... can enhance here and there!
...attend photo shoot classes lar... can shoot models wooo!

And guess what, slow and steady you start doing it one after another. And finally you get the courage to get involve with the weekend photo shoots. Wooohooo... "I am so proud of my pictures..." Really? Or is it actually a smug feeling being able to shoot a half-dressed woman and not being smacked on your head?

I recently told The Hubby that if the terkangkang and terbelah that you want to shoot, I could do that in the privacy of our own room! All in the name of his art of course!

Anyway, I'm digressing from the real reason of this post is written. What I want to say is, if you're really a good photographer, it does not matter if there is a hot model posing for the pictures, you will be able to get The angle and The photo. The hot model is just a prop. Even when she's not posing nicely, you would still be able to shoot a great photo. She does not even have to be half-dressed!


Having said that, I am, myself, a photography lover. It runs in the family apparently. Abah loves to take pictures since he was in school, but did not pursue the hobby because it was very expensive. It IS still an expensive hobby. But we, the new generation, would rather spend the money for the hobby, then let it sit in the bank and grow.

If you don't trust me, look at the photography forums. A lot of them are selling their gadgets because they "need the money urgently". Granted, there are those who are selling to u
pgrade. The difference is that, the second group has extra moolah to spend on the hobby. The first one, does not.

I have been playing with the idea of going into DSLR mania for the past couple of years. But I always think about whether or not there's going to be some profitable return like what The Hubby is doing. Don't want to be "hot hot chicken shit" lah...


1 comment:

Sarclover said...

i definitely fall into the category of the ones who dont actually have the moolah to accommodate this hobby.

but I love photography, so I improvised. with my 6 megs Canon, I play around with the functions, learn photoshop and well... learn more.

and yes.. you dont need models to learn how to shoot good photos, amik gambo nyonya pasar pun kira ok apa. nak fikir how to make the nyonya picture looks a million bucks yang susah gile tu. :P