April 22, 2007

Penang, here I come!

I left KL at about 8:15 am. The weather was good. Not too hot even though it was very sunny. With my newly made audio CD blasting, and necessary phone calls made I’m off to Penang. On my own! Yeay!

Although the purpose of the trip is strictly business, the knowledge that I’m going independently is so exhilarating.

The traffic was not bad. Bigger cars, smaller cars all overtook me, but I still maintained the speed I intended to make when I first decided that I’m driving to Penang. That was 100 km/hour.

I stopped at Tapah for a quick freshening up. Dropped in Dunkin Doughnuts for a couple of doughnuts, and a cuppa. I did not want to stay and it there, so it was a take-out and doughnut munching session in the car.

As I continued driving, I had a sudden urge to take off my sunglasses and experience the true colours of the scenery around me. And I was caught by surprise of how blue and green everything was. It was absolutely breathtaking. I guess I was lucky because the weather was very nice, not hazy nor rainy. It got warmer as time passed by. But it was okay and I was enjoying my drive.

A couple of calls made again to tell loved ones that I’m a-okay.

I took a few shots while driving, because I just could not get enough of the vibrant colours! And you know what, things definitely will look more cheerful if there were red, yellow and orange flowers.

It was definitely a lonely drive. No one to talk to, no one to laugh with (at?). My new CD was still giving me the entertainment I needed though. And as usual, yours truly WILL sing along, no matter how absurd she sounded or lyrics un-savvy she was.

At about 11.18am I finally saw the first signage with “Pulau Pinang” and the famous bridge icon on it. Surprisingly I made good time, since at times I did not realize I was actually driving at 120 km/hour. There was once I caught myself speeding at 130 km/hour. Shhhhhhhhhh… my parents should not know this, mind you.

As I came closer to Penang, the anticipation grew. Few calls made to SS were not picked up. I finally paid the second toll and getting closer to my destination. I received SS’s sms while I was driving on the bridge. I immediately called her and she, cutting short my excited exclamation of my location, quickly gave the direction to her place.

“Make sure you go to the left, and then stay on your right. After that immediately stay on your left because you need to go to the left. At the traffic light, you have to go to the left…” so she explained to me.

All I heard was “to the left, to the left” and I told her, okay, I shall be Beyonce today.

I managed to find my way to her place. I stayed for a while, watch a movie while waiting for her to get ready. At about 2:30pm, we left her place and headed to Vistana Hotel so that I could checked in. It was a very quick process and we went up to 14th floor to my room. My entitlement only landed me in a Superior room, but I have no complains. After all, it’s paid for and it serve it’s purpose.

I got the large bed I requested. You’d be wondering why, eh? I just love to have big bed in hotel since I don’t have the luxury at home. So, what little thing, I shall not deny myself.

We then left the hotel for Queensbay Mall to have our late lunch at Arena food court. It’s a newly opened shopping complex on the island. Everything looks shiny and new. We parked the car at the open-air area. As we walked to the complex’s main entrance, I told SS how I missed the smell of the sea air, albeit the one we were inhaling was a wee bit smelly…

We had our lunch, walked around a bit and headed back. I dropped SS at her place and drove back to the hotel. And yeay! I managed to find it on my own. He he he… not so bad for a tourist, eh?

It’s just a little more than 6pm now. I’m wondering what I should eat for dinner. I don’t feel like going out or going down to the coffee house. The room service menu is not that interesting, but I think I’ll have the Club Sandwich. No good show on TV, I guess it’ll be a boring night…

6:27pm

The sandwich ordered, and my lenses are out. And guess what? I’ve plans for tonight. First, I’m going to devour my sandwiches and fries with carrot juice. Then, I shall relax for about an hour or so, just doing absolutely nothing. After that, I shall fill up the tub with water and bubble. I will then soak myself while reading (re-read, again) either Digital Fortress or The Da Vinci Code, both by Dan Brown. After which I shall wash my hair. Finishing that, I shall have an early night. Sounds good?

Later this week, I might indulge myself with a session of Luxurious Javanese Lulur provided by the hotel. Hmmm… not so far out from my day dream the other day

Aaahhh… my food is here…

8 comments:

D.N.A.S said...

Enjoy your trip!
Jangan lupa pegi shopping jeruk ngan buah pala.

dame said...

hey! i'm in penang as well. got training the whole week. am staying at evergreen laurel near gurney drive. not enjoying it as much due to the traffic! but our hotel btol2 facing the sea. marilah.. hehe. anyway, where's ur office here?

Hajar said...

dnas: i managed to drive to seberang jaya on my own!!!

erdy: partner's office in seberang jaya. call me lah babe!

Anonymous said...

Salaam Jade

If u do have the time, please take a slow drive around the island. You can start from Gurney Drive heading towards Batu Ferringhi, then pass-by Teluk Bahang, straight up to Balik Pulau, Bayan Lepas and finally reaching George Town. Take the whole morning. When u finally reached GT, try having lunch at the end of Transfer Road opposite Shell Station. They serve a whole array of kampung food with a variety of ulam and ikan bakar.

Try to reach the place before 1230 hrs or u wont find a seat. For a mere ringgit u can park at the Shell Station.

If u miss the place or if its full, try the Minang restaurant further down the road.

Drive home safely......

gravtkills said...

hotel mana in penang yg offer javanese lulur nie?

Hajar said...

galing: salaam... I will try to do that. ;-)

gravt: hehe... pelik ke? kat Vistana ni la..

Captain Kangaroo said...

ROAD TRIP!! u brought bon jovi with ya?

Hajar said...

Dr Frap: Only one of his song... It's my life!!!! It's now or never... I ain't gonna live forever! I just wanna live while I'm alive...!!

hehehe...