April 5, 2007

Chaotic

Mak called me around 4:30pm yesterday. My Pak Ngah was admitted to IJN. Again. All three brothers, Pak Ngah, Pak Lang and Abah have heart condition. Pak Ngah has a tube or something around his heart, Pak Lang had a bypass years ago and Abah refused to be on the OR table, is sticking to medication. All three of them smoked ciggarettes. Only Pak Lang stopped.

What is it with men and their stubbornness? Two of my three brothers are smokers, the third one stopped out of love for his girlfriend. He's been free of tar for six months now. I hope it sticks. And I sincerely hope the other two will also quit. All my male cousins smoke. Basically the male in my family are dragons.

I just don't get it. Living proof is around them, and yet, they just could not care less!

In his defense, Pak Ngah said the cause of yesterday's episode was because his two year old grandson jumped on him. As in literally gedebuk on his chest. Twice. Even the doctor didn't say anything when Pak Ngah answered that yes, he smokes. You see, he was admitted last month as well.

I don't know. I just don't know what to say anymore. I'm angry with them. The men in my family. Don't they care about other people? They just keep on puffing the smoke day in, day out. I'm sad because out of male stupidity and ego, they just don't want to take the right step.

Don't tell me it's too late to stop. Or too difficult to stop. If other people can, why can't you? Damn! I hate being angry. I hate seeing older people intubated with tubes and what nots. But they don't care, don't they? They are willing to admit that God sent reminders to them every now and then that their contract is expiring, but hey, they are basically smoking int God's grace probably?

Damn.

To all smokers out there, if you don't care about anything else, the global warming or the air pollution, think about your loved ones, your wives, husbands, kids, parents, siblings, girlfriends, boyfriends, friends. Think about how they will look like when they see you gasping for air, when they watch you breathe your last breath, when you lie there on the bed still as a log, getting colder by the second. Think about them living their remaining life without you because you chose to waste precious remaining years you could've spent together.

Yes, this post is with anger. So, deal.

2 comments:

Nour said...

Oh gosh..I feel the same way too..My dad is a chain smoker after a few acute strokes, still refuse to quit...and refuse to go thru an open heart surgery to replace his valve (opting for medication instead)..till todate he tells everyone he has quit but the family knows he still does it behind our backs. menipu diri namanye. Just like you..I am pissed too :) The same excuses he gives all of us.

D.N.A.S said...

My late father got heart attack a few years after he quit smoking. So, my elder brothers, male cousins and uncles decided that they should not quite smoking? Boleh?