March 24, 2010

The First Class People

My office is just a stone throw from one of those expensive condos in KL. The tenants there are rich local people and expats. They drive big expensive cars with their big expensive sunglasses. I am absolutely positive that they use branded handbags and wallets as well as top notch designer labels on their shirts and dresses.

One would call them those high class, first class people.

Throughout my tenure with the current company, I park my car at a nearby privately managed carpark. They charge me either RM7 on normal days or RM10 if there is even going on at the Convention Centre. So, yeah, I pass by this particular expensive condo everyday, morning and evening.


You notice from the picture (taken from the site shown) there is a pavement in the middle of the road that separates the opposite traffic and creating sort of a three-branch junction. There is no U-turn sign anywhere and if you're coming out from the expensive condo, you have to turn left.

What I have observed these past couple of years are these:
  • Big expensive cars making U-turn to go into the condo from the right-hand side of the road
  • Big expensive cars turning left to get out from the condo, either crossing the pavement or just using a tidal wave action
The pavement at some parts is broken to pieces. Even when the DBKL is doing some gardening work on the plants (located in the middle of the pavement) they park their lorry on the pavement.

So what has got this to say about Malaysia? If our own DBKL is performing an act which is totally wrong, how can we expect those "first class people" living in the expensive condo to observe the correct traffic rule? Even the European expats who must be following strict rules back in their home country find no problem on driving on the pavement.

What I am trying to say is that, if our own people is doing the wrong things and not taking the action to preserve our own facilities and environment, not taking good care of them, how can we expect outsiders to do the same?

I love my country, I love this town I'm living in. Frankly, as much as I like walking on Paris streets or Dam Square of Amsterdam or the cleanliness of Singapore (that pretty much cover my international destinations... har har har) I still prefer to be here, in Kuala Lumpur. It pains me to see these people who have no respect towards the beauty of the city.

I have to say, everytime I come across these first class people doing what I listed above, I don't smile if our eyes meet. What makes me more upset is when they look as if they have every right to do what they are doing.

Where is the proper authority on this? Why are they not doing anything to stop the misbehaving conduct? And let's not start about the illegal parking in front of the office building. These big expensive cars parked there sometimes with the driver waiting inside. Haih...

No comments: