December 4, 2009

Movie Review: New Moon

WARNING: Slightly long post

First of all, let me get this out of the way... New Moon is full of semi-undressed well built guys. And just because I'm getting married, does not mean I cannot appreciate the beauty of well toned males... Okay, that done, I'll go on to the movie...

New Moon the movie.... this is my impression. It stays true to the book. Some action sequence that can wake your man up; even if it's just for a while; nice fight scenes, witty (and sometimes lame) dialogues that is truly from the book, and a tad draggy. The last part is actually unavoidable because the book itself is such, and it has to portray the flow otherwise the story will loose its intended effect. The sizzling scenes between Bella and Edward is a little too grown up for my prude side; not for the eyes of teenagers.

So overall, I would say it was a good movie after all. I actually walked in expecting much worse; based on the reviews that I've read on the net.

Now, this movie is in my opinion, fully intended for the readers of Twilight saga. If you've read the second book, you would understand better why the movie was directed the way it was. The second book is about lost love, confusion when it comes to matters of the heart. And one should remember the story is told from Bella's point of view, as such description are based on a teenage girl's perception.

I could relate to Bella's 18-year-old heart when Edward left her. I could understand when Stephanie Meyer talked about the "hole" which seemed only to disappear when someone else was giving the attention. At that age, you love someone with such absolution, no boundaries. So when one actually lost the pillar, something which is the center of one's universe, it is like getting your heart ripped out. One can only love like this once, maybe, and never again. This is when you are so sure of everything, full of youthful hopes and dreams. So when Bella actually laid on the forest floor and curled
(and hope to die?), I understood.

After three months the Cullens left, Bella found comfort in Jacob. And so begins a just-because relationship for Bella but a growing fondness on Jacob's side. A man writing a review for New Moon should see Bella's situation with Jacob's feelings when he was rejected. Since he's a wolf, he can run around wildly, he doesn't need to go to fetal position. And remember, Jacob is only a 16-year old boy; a guy at this age, he still does not know what he really wants. Ha ha ha...

Vittoria, the vampire from the first chapter came back to sniff around Bella. But the story does not end there and we will see her again too.
In this second installment too, The Volturi is introduced. We will see more of them soon enough. Remember, these characters are not the main subjects for the second book. And they are in as a reminder for the former and introduction for the latter. I think the director did a good job of reminding and introducing the characters.

The second chapter also lacks the interaction with the Cullens and Bella's school friends. Again, they are not intended to be in the main story, and the reason why Alice Cullen is more prominent from the rest is because she is Bella's best friend.

Now, would I suggest for you to watch the movie? Well... my advise will be the same like when I wrote about Twilight. But I will say, New Moon is a better movie than Twilight was. A little draggy but it's just because it needs to be.



No comments: