June 16, 2008

Review of TWILIGHT by Stephanie Meyer

Whenever I'm reading a great story, I tend to scan the pages fast instead of going word by word. Some people might find this odd, but to me, a good story won't break your stride if you speed read.

I started reading Twilight on Friday night before going to bed. I continued on Saturday morning, before my breakfast and then after. I read it while my hair was being blow dried at the salon and again just before my lunch was served. I read a little more before I took my afternoon nap, when I was in my room back at my parents'. Finally finishing up just before dusk settled on that day. At twilight.

I had planned, of course, to take my time with the book as it IS thick. 434 pages. But, alas, I have failed.

Like any other books that I have read before and like, I am the heroine. In this one, I was Bella Swan. A seventeen year old girl trapped in a gloomy almost sunless town. I experienced the fear, the happiness, the worry and anguish as well as anticipation that the character went through. My heart was beating as wildly as Bella's when she was scared and when she waited expectingly for Edward Cullen to touch or kiss her. I was Bella, anticipating the dark gift.

Like any good story telling, Stephanie Meyer was able to describe vividly the scenery, people and the emotions. What I love most is that the characters are believable. Bella was not the perfect heroine. She was a klutz, something that hit too close to home. And that is comforting to know. Yours truly have been known to trip over herself or get stuck in the pavement more than anyone could care to count.

I like the fact that the characters have flaws, because then, I am able to visualise them better.

And vampires. I absolutely love everything about them. Eternal yet not quite immortal. Seductive and predatory. Mysterious and alluring. And like Bella, I expected she will be made one of them soon enough. What with the love and complications, you might just get it over and done with, don't you? Well, the author did not seem to think so.

Instead Stephanie Meyer proved that she's a master storyteller, and the story will continue. Leaving the reader guessing.

My copy of the book is probably the ninth reprint. I like the cover image. A red apple in a pair f alabaster hands, against a black background. Nothing can be more contrasting and define the dark "gift" better. Beautiful.

Love is always the essence of a good story. This time, although not original in the theme, love between a human an a vampire, the author managed to inject family values and ordinariness, amongst others. I have to say, once you've read similar genre books from different author, it's hard to perceive anything as original. But what sets them apart is the style that each stories being weaved. The ride that the readers are given when reading the book. That was what made me decide Stephanie Meyer is worth reading.

I will without doubt, get the New Moon to complete the set. So, if you like sensual love story between human and vampires with a dash of family rooting, pick up the book. To those who have read the book. let me know what you think...

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/twilight.html

ps: when the movie comes out, I will definitely get the DVD

No comments: