June 2, 2008

Review: Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill

Horror. Thriller.

The author managed to describe the scenarios in such a way that you're able to visualise them. I could feel the cold air caressing my cheek, I could almost see the man with the long hat driving the beat-up truck. I could almost sense a presence, while tucked away under my warm blanket in my bed.

The main character is a man. An old rock singer who lived his life as he saw fit. He had done everything, or so he thought. He played, broke hearts, lived. Through his weird interest, collecting old, mysterious things, his past came back to haunt him. An auction. The bid. The arrival of the suit. The old man. The thoughts that was not his and the actions that contradicts logics. Hypnotised. Does love/lust live even in death? Does vengeance resolve conflicts? Will pretense cover up the truth? Will illusions face? And does compassion while in sadness bring forgiveness?

It's a blend of all these and more. If you're sitting on a chair, you're at the edge. If you're lying down, you're curling your toes in anticipation. Hear Shaped Box takes readers on a roller-coaster ride. There'd be laughter, tears, anger and madness. It's a good fiction.

This is my first read on Joe Hill. I like what I read. Owh, and the man himself not half bad looking. He he he...

No comments: