November 12, 2007

Review: 30 Days of Nights

I went to watch 30 Days of Nights last week. I've always love the idea of being a vampire, regardless the blood drinking neccessity. But seriously, I hate the vampires in the movie.

Eversince I knew what vampires are, their mystique and sensuality. The movie did not carry any of those qualities. These vampires were viscious and cruel and evil. They do not hypnotise their victims to go under their spell they just attack and instill fear in them. In fact, I don't think they even have enough time to be frightened. It was horrible.

As far as the story goes, the story line is pretty straight forward. It's derived from the horror comic written by Steve Niles. It's a story of a group of vampires went rampage over a town in Alaska which was not getting sunlight for 30 days. Vampires. UV ray. So, it's basically heaven for the carnivores and hell for the townspeople. It tells you a story how these people survive, or not, the month of blood and terror.

Of course, there could not be a total happy ending in the movie. Being a vampire fan myself, I somehow knew already that someone will have to sacrifice her/himself to save humanity and beat the beasts. Of course it has to be the hero la kan.

The only question that I had was that, why didn't the vampire disintegrate to ashes at then end of the movie when the sun rised? He only went blackened like a pieace of wood that had been burnt. Liar, liar, pants on fire.

If you look for continuing the image of Dracula in Bram Stoker or in fact, Angel the vampire with soul, this is not the movie to watch. The way the vampires attacked the humans in the movie is similar to the way the virus-infected people cum zombie in Resident Evil.

I don't give stars or rate movies like these. I would just say, go and watch if you don't mind watching a predictable ending.

No comments: