March 13, 2006

Parenthood? Parent-doom?

Too many things on mind, too many ways to say them, yet, not enough force to start. Actually... at the moment, lack of imagination is more the reason.

Yesterday, I was touching a baby's cheek, so bulat and tembam, when an eardrum-piercing scream scared sh*t out of me. I turned to look. And I had to look down, it was a little girl with a cute Alice-in-Wonderlands gown, looking at me with malice in her round doll-eyes and both of her hands on her waist. She did not allow me to touch the baby. For a moment, I thought the baby was her sister/brother, then the aunty who was holding the baby said, "Tak lah, tu bukan kakak dia" (no, that's not the sister). And the aunty went on and told me, she got scolded by the girl as well when she tried to hold the baby, and she only got to hold the baby because the baby's mother had to eat (we were at kenduri kahwin by the way).

I called my mum over and asked her to touch the baby. Again, the moment my mum's finger touched the baby, the angelic-looking devil screamed again. And I looked at her, and said, "oh, sungguh berani awak jerit pada mak kita, yer?" To which she boldly stared straight into my eyes. I could not believe her nerves! By the way, she's probably about four or five years old.

She actually yelled and screamed and point fingers to everyone who dared to touch the baby-who-is-not-her-brother/sister. One time, my aunty was holding the baby, the devil in the girl shouted "jangan!", one hand pointing at my aunty, the left hand at her waist, and her right feet tapping the floor. She is one psycho little girl.

Why am I talking about this five year old? I'm sure, I'm just babbling nonsense. I'm just thinking how the next generation is going to be. She could be my daughter if I had gotten married right after my graduation. I'm a little queasy thinking of my ability to teach good values to my kids. I know I will be a good mother, but will my goodness/kindness brought up good kids or spoilt brats?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello...it's been a while since i 'read' you. been far from home,educating 'monkeys' minds is not an easy thing to do,maybe u should join me since u r really good in this language. anyway,it's nice 'reading' you since i've not been doin it for quite sometime. how's life. how's ur hsemate. do send my warm regards to ur family. hope to 'read' u soon...bye.

Anonymous said...

Scary huh? There was one time while i was queuing up at the price tagging counter in one of those hypermarket. A girl, barely ten or twelve came by and immediately cut into the line in front of me. She was carrying a plastic bag filled with crabs and the counter is specifically meant for price-tagging of fruits & veggy.

So i called out...."Adik...." but before i could continue she yelled "Apa?!!!. i was shocked, stunned & appalled. Regaining my composure i pointed her to the right counter which she merely responded by "....oohh!".

She did not offered any apologies, no excuses no nuthin'. So where did we go wrong. Parenting used to be a full time job for mothers. Apparently it has been discarded for economic reasons or mothers just dont have the time AND patience anymore....

Anonymous said...

evryone must have heard of apes aping apes, chimpanzees chimping
chimpanzees and gorillas gorilling gorillas..children are playbacks of the parents!! WYSISWYG..QED!!
The world is a stage and we are prima donnas.

Hajar said...

galing: it's never easy becoming parents...

khiddo: aahh.. parents nowadays say that kids should try everything, learn everything. don't hold them back. western influence. see how they (the westerners) turned out.

anon: true

Nazrah Leopolis said...

heheh...adik jade, kuti je dia lain kali.haha.