December 27, 2010

I don’t hate you but I don’t have to agree with you

I have stopped myself several times from writing about a certain declaration video which is now the talk of the town. I shall not name it here, because as a Muslim, we should not disclose our brothers’ or sisters’ embarrassment (even if they feel there is nothing to be embarrass about). Suffice to say, I know the person, because we went to the same school.

I don’t hate homosexuals. But I don’t love them neither. Do I have gay friends? Yes, I do. They are nice people, just like any other friends that I have. You see, I only keep nice people as friends. Who in the right mind will befriend not nice people, eh?

Second question, do I have problem knowing someone is gay? Nope. If I do, I will not befriends with them. Simple.

Next question, do I agree on homosexuality? The answer to this is a clear and a simple NO.

Just because you’re friends with some people that have different ideologies, it does not mean you agree with them. You can be friends, but you don’t have to always agree.

When it comes to homosexuality, be it gay or lesbian, Islam has forbid it more than 1400 years ago. If you read about Islam, and the prophets’ histories, you will come across Nabi Luth (Prophet Lot). His people were homosexuals, the men and the women. These people were told to come back to truth and yet they denied themselves the light, and they were prosecuted by Allah SWT. They all died because their land was turned topsy-turvy.

So Allah SWT has decreed long time ago that this practice is forbidden. Why oh why should we say otherwise? In my opinion, we should not be proud of the forbidden things that we do. We all make mistakes for we are humans. But we must always find ways to come back to Him and seek his forgiveness, for He is the most forgiving.

I read the comment from the supporters of the declaration, and I am stumped. I feel so sad, that I cried. Have these people lost their minds? They talk as if religion is of no relation to one’s life. They talk as if they know better than Allah SWT Himself. Aren’t they scared of what might be by challenging the might of Allah SWT?

No, I don’t have problems with people who believe they are homosexuals. Instead I wish, hope and pray that they come to realise that when Allah SWT created them, He created them to be heterosexuals. There are reasons why there are men an women.

“Dan segala sesuatu Kami ciptakan berpasang-pasangan supaya kamu mengingat kebesaran Allah.” (Adz -Dzaariyaat : 49).
“And all that We created is in pairs so that you remember Allah’s greatness” (Adz Dzaariyaat: 49)

"Dan di antara tanda-tanda kekuasaan Nya ialah Dia menciptakan untukmu isteri-isteri dari jenismu sendiri, supaya kamu cenderung dan merasa tenteram kepadanya, dan dijadikannya di antaramu rasa kasih dan sayang” (Ar-Rum: 21)
“And amongst the signs of His greatness, is that He created for you, wives from your own kind, so that you may feel comforted towards her and He create between the two of you love” (Ar-Rum:21)

There are lots of other ayat from the holy Quran Al-Karim that shows Allah SWT created men and women so that they may complement each other in life, in love. And from this union, insyaAllah, a clean and blessed generation shall be borne. How can we deny this truth? It comes from the Quran itself! The holy scripture that should be our guide.

I can only Istighfar and be reminded of my own shortcomings and mistakes and weaknesses. But it does not mean I cannot spell out my distaste of the comments that were given by these people in favour of homosexuality. What is wrong, will remain wrong. What is forbidden will remain forbidden.

They argue that homosexual is not about sex, but it is about love. If that is the truth then look to Allah SWT for the love that you seek. They say straight people do not understand them and always ridicule them, I have to say some people are quick to judge and condemn. But why can’t they look for the straight people who can show and guide them to the right path? In my opinion, anything wrong that we do, and we do not want to leave it behind, it’s all because we love the world more than we love the hereafter, more than we love Allah SWT. It’s the same to women who are not wearing headscarves, because we feel that we might be less pretty in the eyes of humans, when instead we should think of becoming beautiful in the eyes of Allah SWT, masyaAllah. :-( It’s like people who drink alcohol and do not want to stop because they believe they cannot have fun without it and people will say they are not cool, when they should be thinking how to look cool in front of Allah SWT.

So, when homosexuals say that being gay or lesbian is not about choice, they should be reminded that they do have the choice. Like the women who are not wearing headscarves, like the people who drinks alcohol. It’s a matter of choice.

I am a human, I make mistakes too. And writing this post does not mean I’m preaching or being holier-than-thou, for I am a sinner too. I’m writing this in hope that Allah SWT will shine upon me His Nur and guidance, shower me with his rahmat for I may become a better person in time, insyaAllah. Our main objective in life should be to see Him in Husnul Khatimah.

People always say that if you hang about with those who are smelly, you will become smelly too. And if you hang around those who wear perfumes, the scent will brush on you too. I shall put it in a more modern perspective. You go to clubs, eventhough you don’t drink or don’t smoke, you come out smelling like ashes and liquor still. You go to masjeed, even if you’re dozing off during the sermon, you come out smelling nice or like minyak attar if the pakcik next to you wear it. ;-)

I believe I have said enough. Just a reminder to myself, my family and my friends, not to be advocates of things which are already forbidden by Allah SWT. I remind myself to always seek His forgiveness in any way I can, any time while I’m still breathing. For once He calls my name, there is nothing more I can do, but answer His call. May we always be under His guidance and rahmat, insyaAllah.

3 comments:

Hajar said...

By Akmar via private message:

Very well written!

I’ve been to the website & FB page which champion the equal right for the LBGT, it made me sad. And it made me sadder when these people are so ‘proud’ of it while knowing that it’s wrong. And he in particular actually have the “courage” (for the lack of better word) to make public declaration that he wants to represent. I pray for him to have a pinch of fear to God because to be honest, I fear for him.
(in The Sun today reported that the NGOs expressed their disappointment that Khir Baharom condemned LBGT but not to the ones that have been issuing death threat to the group. I do not agree of all these death threats but I somehow think these NGOs are being ironic)

When it comes to topic like this, a slight remark made would be labelled as ‘holier-than-thou’. Well, I’m not..i have my fair share of sins ;). Why is it so wrong for us to oppose yet it’s okay for them to do something which is clearly opposed? As if it’s a modern hip thing to do. Even typing this down scares me, as we can never know what’s in our future. Nauzubillah…

I’m not against them, I’m against their choice. Just because I like apple and she likes orange, doesn’t mean we can’t be friends right? Just because I’m a muslim and she is of a diff religion, doesn’t mean we can’t be friends.

May Allah forgive us all and forever guide us to the right path.

Sarclover said...

Well... My problem about that particular site (I happen to know which one you are talking about)is really the comments that were said.

I kind of felt sad,as a human being, to know that most people are too quick to judge.

I think there was someone who was pro homo who said that as Muslims, one should read the Quran first and interpret the meaning as best as they can.

One 'holier than thou' person, one who said that gays are doomed to hell etc etc... made a U turn and said :

"Owh... kita tak boleh percaya Quran 100%"

I mean like wtf la.

I mean I have my own belief system, one that I think you would disagree on, but that's my spiritual view on that... But to say dumb things like the one I mentioned, comeon la. Dumbass tak sudah.

Dah jangan marah marah. Pergi tido.

Hajar said...

Sarc, you and I can disagree with lotsa things, but we're still chums no? Mana ada marah... Was sad actually. But now I've said my piece, I'm at peace.

Neeways, the hurtful comments are uncalled for. People make mistakes what, so why should we be the judge. Instead, we should help them. Although, if they don't want to be helped, I guess we can just hope they see reason. But to condemn, that's not our job.