June 19, 2010

FIFA 2010

Besides the vuvuzela, there’s another part of World Cup that I don’t fancy much.

It’s the following less intelligent dialogues:

TING TONG!
Girl (opening the door): Ma! Dua Mat Saleh!

The two Mat Salehs happen to be a couple of football players. One English, one Italian.

It is one of ASTRO’s advertisement for World Cup. I’m sure you’re familiar with it.

I mean who came up with such idiotic lines? Well, I’m sure I could look it up, just lazy to do so. The line is just racist to my opinion. Words are failing me.

I remember the first match we saw on TV when World Cup 2010 started. I immediately noticed the annoying sound. So they said it’s a tradition. So I guess we just have to make peace with it until the season finishes. Maybe, it’s a tool to collapse all the football giants this time around. Hmmm…. Suspiciousssssssssss…..

 

2 comments:

Sarclover said...

You know we would tell our expat friends about the '-lah' term?

It is a very Malaysian term.

Mat Saleh is one of it. I guess, it is not as derogatory as any other race related terms we use.

To the average Malaysians, it's not even supposed to be racist.

to Americans however, they would usually refrain to use the term Whites and Blacks because that to them is racist.

Chinese would usually use 'Malai-po' (Makcik Melayu) and 'Malai-kung' (Pakcik melayu). Often it is used in a not so positive note.

to me it is only if Astro uses stuff like (Which would never happen) : Mak, ada dua niggers! (Both are africans), or 'Mak, ada dua KKK (Ku Klux Klan)! (both are 'Mat salehs'.

D.N.A.S said...

Aaa? Which advert is this? Tak perasan pun.
BTW, I only tune in to Channel 805, 806 je pun.